A time capsule of somewhat narcissistic sheltered navel-gazing, preserved for embarrassing posterity.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Popup Blocker

Well, I made it through my 12+ computerless hours; it was aided by the fact that I was in post-memo sleep deprivation, so I actually slept for a good eight of those hours. (Eight hours of sleep--unheard of!!) Factor in time cooking, eating, doing some reading, showering, and biking home yesterday, I only had an hour or so of jonesing.

I am now, however, missing my MAC. Not a computer, my Mac. The loaner laptops from the school are all Dells. When I switched to the Mac, I knew vaguely that I liked it better, but couldn't pinpoint for you why. Now that I'm using a Windows machine here for a bit again, I think I can do it better. I'll sum it up for you in one word.

Popup.

I've gotten more stupid popup messages in the hour and half that I've been on this laptop than I get in a month on the Mac. Would you like to do this? Watch out for that! Are you sure about this other thing? Really? No...I mean...really really?

And then there are the things it decides its going to do automatically without telling you. Such as, deciding behind the scenes that it's going to apply an update which requires a restart, so that in the heart of Torts class, as you are taking notes, it shuts down without warning as you are in mid-sentence.

Fun stuff, really! But, I shall not complain much--an old fogey like me is just amazed at the mere existence of a loaner laptop program to begin with. Young whippersnappers these days...I tell ya.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay mac! Boo anything NOT mac.

Glad it's fixed and you survived.

malcontent said...

I'm a Mac and a PC. A Mac by choice; a PC by force.