A time capsule of somewhat narcissistic sheltered navel-gazing, preserved for embarrassing posterity.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Again

Well, if you enjoyed yesterday's bus story, here's a doozie.

Saturday morning I did phone banking for No on 8 on campus, then went to the law school the library closed at 6:00 and a crabby librarian shooed us out. I was cranky from a less-than-spectacular phone bank morning, combined with cranky librarian woman, so a couple friends and I decided to grab a couple drinks. I decided to leave my bag in my locker at the law building, and just grab it on the way back to catch the bus.

A good time was had with a couple margaritas, and I wasn't too concerned about catching the last trip of the bus that I normally take, which came around at slightly after 8:30. I knew there were other combos of busses I could take home, although catching that one would be a lot easier. As it turned out, I would have gotten it, except I had to get my bag from my locker. End result, I think I missed it by a few short minutes. And thus began the set of dominos...

I waited at the bus stop for at least another half hour or 40 minutes for a different bus that I could take. I had to take that one east to Hollywood, then another one south to my neighborhood. The bus finally came, with tons of entertainment in the form of five drunk guys speaking some indistinguishable foreign language, and old guy with two teeth speaking indistinguishable English, and a somewhat normal-ish looking woman who was practically cowering in a ball trying to ignore them. The drunk guys got booted for drinking on the bus, at which point the toothless guy turned his attention to the woman and decided he was going to give her a book, and insisted on her taking it. She turned to me, laughing about the book, at which point I realized she was missing about half of her teeth as well. Must've been a toothless full moon or something.

I get off the bus in Hollywood, hanging out at Sunset and Vine on a Friday night with a somewhat large "No on Prop 8" (aka, I'm A Giant Queer) sign. Yeehaw. Most of this time I was on the phone with LT, but without warning my cell phone ran out of battery, and the last thing she heard was me cursing because I realized I must have dropped my bus pass on the first bus while laughing about the toothless guy. Wherever I dropped it, it sure wasn't on me anywhere. And, I had spent the rest of my cash getting drinks earlier. At any rate, I figured the last thing she heard was, "Shit...aw, fuck," then silence, and would be convinced that I was dead.

Happily, there was an ATM on the corner, and a nearby Borders books that was open late. The Borders chick refused to just give me change for the $20 I got from the ATM for the bus, so I got myself a yummy 50 cent chocolate treat to get change, and bought time on the Borders wireless network while waiting for the next bus (luckily the wireless signal reached across the street to the bus stop), so that I could let LT know I was still alive and safe, just incompetent.

The last bus came, and with no further eventful stories, about 2 1/2 hours after missing that first bus by 5 minutes, I finally made it home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay adventure! Yay no death! I believe the last words I heard were, "Aw, shit. Hold on. *silence*"

Anonymous said...

Hahaha... Fail. Oh wait...

:)

Susanica said...

Hey C. You shouldn't scare LT like that. Glad you could get back in touch with her so soon though. No on 8! No on 8! -Monica

Anonymous said...

get a bike, hippy