A time capsule of somewhat narcissistic sheltered navel-gazing, preserved for embarrassing posterity.

Friday, August 31, 2007

Ikea Tests My Love

For the most part, I usually think Ikea rocks. It's just a fun place, some decent stuff, reasonable prices. In addition, I've also been impressed with the emphasis they put on reducing waste, using recyclable materials, etc. But they are testing my love at the moment.

I have a glass-top table that MD and I bought there when we moved in together. The glass was an unfortunate victim in my move to Regent Square, and replacing it has finally moved to the top of my long to-do list. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal; Ikea probably just has a parts replacement system and I can buy a new top for it.

Nope.

I have to buy a whole new table. I've talked to people at the store, people on the phone, people on the customer service "live chat" thing, and sent them an email. The table top is packaged and handled separately; the infrastructure is entirely in place for them to sell just the top, but they just won't do it. I'm a little irritated about the cost, but really, why force people to waste perfectly good furniture pieces? Considering that most of their stuff is in pieces, I'm very surprised and disappointed that they don't have a better parts-replacement system.

Oh, and they do have another line of glass table tops that you can buy seperately, but in one direction it is 3/4" off in length. Really? How hard would it be to make them the same size??

It's still cheaper for me to buy the whole new table than to get replacement glass from a different store, so I'm going to do it. But I'm just going to leave the base at the store--I'll be damned if I'm going to deal with the hassle of getting rid of an extra table base, and I'm sure as hell not going to just throw it out.

No comments: