A time capsule of somewhat narcissistic sheltered navel-gazing, preserved for embarrassing posterity.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

To Soothe the Savage Beast

I don't know what it is about music. There's something about how it works into me, in a way that regular words never could. Whether I'm listening to it or playing it, it's like it opens some hidden door directly through me. Whatever emotion it is touching, it hits it directly, exposes it completely bare to everything. There's no emotion so intense for me that music can't take it to greater heights--joy, anger, excitement, anticipation, frustration, hope, peace, anything.

And as for pain, when a song resonates with your pain, for me there are few things quite so rending and yet so healing all at once. I can feel like a song is just going to break me in two...the mortal body couldn't possibly survive it. Then when it's over, there's a speck of hope, of healing, that just wasn't there before.

Music that truly resonates with something you feel in your heart is just pure--it is the most perfect form of expression I can imagine. It's as though it ceases to describe the feeling, and simply IS the feeling. That's just beautiful.

No comments: