A time capsule of somewhat narcissistic sheltered navel-gazing, preserved for embarrassing posterity.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

FOOTY!!

It's far too late for this summer, but great news that the Riverhounds will be playing again next year! Even better news, although a location hasn't been finalized they are going to be moving to a new location closer to the city. Good for fans, who don't have to trek all the way down to Washington, and good for the players, who hopefully won't have to play on a FREAKING BASEBALL FIELD. (Even having seen games there, I still can't make that work in my head.)

If the new ownership group is smart, they will seriously consider landing a home field within the city, as the Pittsburgh Passion did. I didn't go to any Passion games when they played at outlying areas such as Ambridge or Belle Vernon, but I can't imagine that moving to the South Side has done anything but help their visibility and attendance. I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't go to games when they played in the middle of nowhere.

Oh, and in related news, we're down to 10 days for Beckham's planned on-field debut in a match vs. Chelsea. I do hope he proves to be as much of a boon for MLS as folks claim he'll be. However, as a lifelong hockey fan I know the battles that fringe sports face in the US.

No comments: