A time capsule of somewhat narcissistic sheltered navel-gazing, preserved for embarrassing posterity.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

It's a Great Day for Hockey

Tonight I went to the last home game of the Pens' regular season. Since I don't know what's going on next year, I can't afford playoff tickets this year, and they're building the new arena, I realized it might be the last game I ever see at Mellon Arena (Civic Arena, thank you very much).

If it ends up being the last one I see there, it will have been a fitting farewell. The boys beat the Flyers 4-2, with a sick goal by Crosby to put it away, reaching back with his stick and deflecting a shot that was going behind him through his legs into the net. I got all the classic fittings of a home Pens game - the ages-old "Are you ready?" penguin picture to start the game, human bowling, some good fights, good goals and good saves, TC the vendor, the skinny high-pitched vendor who sells cotton candy at Pens games and beer and peanuts at Pirate games, 17,000 people booing Carey Fraser (Pittsburgh's 2nd favorite ref behind Mick McGough), and the Pens clinched the Atlantic Division title. Thanks to MT for sharing it with me! (Thank goodness it wasn't a Devils game.)

I really can't ask for a better ending than to close out my last game chanting, "Go home, Flyers!" So if it was my last game at the arena, it was a good one.


Home ice.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can get over it though because I am so excited that you are coming to Chicago!

I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

"Go home Flyers" chant FTW!

Anonymous said...

And I'm glad the photo shows the big head that was in front of us all night!

Anonymous said...

A great day for Hockey?

Welcome to the POWHA where we fine you for taking a penalty? Really, whatever.

And 3 divisions. Exactly who are the upper teams?
Central
Central
and Central?
Oh wait that's 3.

There's Kent that wants to leave, there's the Possibility of the Blues who might want to come back. And what, the Piranhas,

So if Kent actually stays and the Blues actually come back it will be a Cleveland v. Pittsburgh Division?

The intermediate is that Cincy I, Columbus Caps and Bandits and Cleveland Heights?

So the Caps beat the snot out of both the Bandits and Ice Hawks when we play them so that's a division.

What a joke!

Oops, maybe I'll get fined for saying that......