A time capsule of somewhat narcissistic sheltered navel-gazing, preserved for embarrassing posterity.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sad News...and, Media Mediocrity

I heard on the radio driving home from work today that they just found Heath Ledger dead in his apartment. I don't follow movies and such very often, but he was one guy that I usually really liked in movies. Not just his acting, although I did usually like what he did, but the little I saw about his personality. He wasn't always in the headlines with relationship drama or getting into trouble, and in a couple interviews I saw with him around the time of Brokeback Mountain he seemed really low key and down to earth. So, I'm pretty sad to hear that.

I have to comment, though, that I was just getting home when they said something on the radio, so I flipped on CNN to see if they had any more info. In addition to being bummed about the news, it was another ugly reminder of the current state of media these days; the coverage was idiotic. Asking the same questions over and over; asking about stupid, inane details that mean nothing ("The appointment he had with the masseuse, would that have been a regular thing?"); blathering canned phrases of shock, attempting to sound educated and serious; and just generally talking to hear themselves talk. Just as with all other big breaking news stories, digging for any bit of potential new info, no matter its questionable validity or relevance.

No comments: