A time capsule of somewhat narcissistic sheltered navel-gazing, preserved for embarrassing posterity.

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Calendar Fetish 2008

People who know me, I don't have to explain my calendar fetish. People who don't, now you know I have a calendar fetish. Addiction. Strong craving for. I really really like them. I don't know quite where it came from--it doesn't stem from any psychoanalytical need to control my life or time or anything, I just think they're fun. I think it started one year I was in a calendar store to get one for the new year, and I realized there were a bunch that I liked, so I decided to break free from the chains of societal calendar pressures and buy all the ones that I liked.

And so it goes. I go calendar shopping after the holidays, because a) then I already have the gift ones that I get, and b) when you buy as many calendars as I do, waiting until they are 50% off really pays. So yesterday I indulged in my calendar excesses for the year, and here's what I came up with:

Wall Calendars:
- Pittsburgh!
- Cool horse photography
- Vintage world maps
- Monte Nagler black & white photography
- Bridges
- Art by Gustave Baumann
- Art by Wolf Kahn
- Old photography of NYC
(And of course at work I have wet erase calendars to keep track of project schedules. But I usually categorize those under my office supply addiction, not my calendar addiction.)

Day-by-day Calendars:
- Daily paper airplane (fun!!)
- Bad President Bush countdown calendar
- Bye-bye Bush countdown calendar (yes, it was worth getting two)
- Stuff on My Cat
- Pooch Cafe
- Daily lawyer jokes (couldn't resist)

The one bummer about waiting until January is that a few of my staple comics that I get every year are sometimes sold out. So I'm currently waiting for the following day-by-day calendars to come in from ordering them online:
- Dilbert
- Pearls Before Swine
- Get Fuzzy

So, for those of you who are counting, yes, that is 16 calendars. And I'm PROUD OF IT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wall: Tropical Islands, HSUS kittens.

Desk: Bad Cat, Get Fuzzy, Daily Cat, Living Green, and Mediataions and Reflections for Women. (Angry that they ran out of the gallery Cat desk calendar. That's been a staple for the past three years.)

I'm jealous of Stuff on my Cat. Since I don't have any at home, maybe this warrants a trip to B&N at lunchtime...