A time capsule of somewhat narcissistic sheltered navel-gazing, preserved for embarrassing posterity.

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Down to the Business of Winter

OK, holidays are over, so now it's time to get serious about this winter thing. Most people don't like winter after the holidays--they like the nice pretty snow for their picturesque holiday scene, but after that they just want spring. For my money, January and February are the best time to REALLY enjoy it! No more nagging feelings hanging over your head that you're supposed to be planning something, buying something, wrapping something, wondering if your life is full enough, complete enough, etc. And let's face it--here in Pittsburgh winter usually doesn't really get serious until January anyhow.

It's that time of year to feel free to take some extra time to enjoy this stuff. My weekend morning walk for coffee was absolutely brilliant. Crisp and clear, the world was quiet and snowy, the cold air sharpened my senses, woke me up, and was thoroughly invigorating. Later today I fully intend to pull on my winter hiking boots and take a jaunt through Frick. And boy...am I itching to be on a mountain right now. (Grrr...haven't gone boarding in 2 years.)

Speaking of which, let's not forget about winter sports! Hockey is in full swing (3rd row seats to the Pens game later today!) and NFL playoffs are gearing up (go Stillers!), and across the pond, the real football national leagues are charging right along (yeah, that's right Americans...those "pansy soccer players" do their thing year 'round, especially in the winter when we're at home crying).

It can be hard because this point of winter can be so tough for many people. It seems like it's always dark. It's cold. The snow gets all dirty and black by the side of the road. A lot of people have a really tough time with SAD, plugging through the winter months. So it's even more important to take extra steps to enjoy it. Yeah, it's dark when I go to work and dark when I leave...but it's not dark in the middle of the day when I sneak out for a quick walk. Pile on those extra layers...I'm not ashamed to have nothing but my glasses poking out between the beanie and turtle fur. I feel so pumped up after embracing the elements and biking to work than after shivering in my car on the drive there.

Besides...all the winter hating in the world won't make it go away, so I might as well make the best of it.

No comments: