A time capsule of somewhat narcissistic sheltered navel-gazing, preserved for embarrassing posterity.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Bread

Sadly, Bumblebee did not magically re-appear on my porch. (However, I task all of you with the same thing that I've tasked a number of individual friends with: if you see someone riding a very obvious yellow and black Diamondback Topanga Comp with disc brakes, knock them off and bring me my bike back. I'm recruiting a vigilante bike recovery posse.)

Happily, though, I am no longer bike-less. My new one isn't a mountain bike like Bumblebee was, he's a hybrid. I really liked the sturdiness of a mountain bike, as well as the option to go crashing through the woods if I wanted, not to mention the fact that Bumblebee was a pretty damn expensive and high quality bike. But I had to get realistic about a) what I could afford, and b) what I'm going to have time to do over the next few years. In the end, a solid hybrid was going to be a lot cheaper, lighter, and commuter friendly than another high-end mountain bike. And the more basic components will also be a lot more student-budget friendly when it comes to maintenance. So, Craigslist came through, and yesterday evening after a quick jaunt to the Irwin exit on the turnpike, I brought home Bread.

As one of my friends kindly pointed out when I posted about Bumblebee, I am a dork because I named my bike. Bread is only going to help prove her point (not that I ever argued it). This morning LT and I saw a Toyota Prius with the license plate "HI BREAD". My love of stupid puns, the fact that my new bike is also a hybrid, plus the timing of seeing that license plate, made it pretty perfect. Yes, I'm a dork. I confess.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looked around for the "Go to bread" quote, but this was the best I could find: http://www.snpp.com/episodes/4F13

horray bread!

or should I say, "Huzzah, bread!" ? <-- punctuation courtesy of Randall Monroe, president of the internet

Anonymous said...

Hi Bread!

I'm playing on teh interwebs and making ginger ale. I'm a dork, too!

Anonymous said...

Dork or not, you come by the vehicle-naming tradition genetically. Your Uncle Jim is best known for it, but if you check around, EVERYONE in the maternal branches of your family tree has named vehicles--cars, bikes, wagons, riding mowers--at one time or another. Sorry. You were destined (doomed?) to continue the tradition!

Anonymous said...

I'm in! I get to carry the bat.