A time capsule of somewhat narcissistic sheltered navel-gazing, preserved for embarrassing posterity.

Monday, March 31, 2008

Weekend Gauntlet 2: Nats

This weekend was a trip to Philly for the USA Hockey Women's National Tournament. Well, that's what it was supposed to be, and it ended up being the tournament, a return to Pittsburgh for about a half hour, then a trip to Washington, DC to catch the end of LT's frisbee tournament.

First the hockey - we played well and it was a fun time, unfortunately that didn't translate to great success in the tournament standings. We finished 0-3, but honestly made a better showing than that record indicates (at least, I think so!). By far the highlight of the weekend for me was playing against my old team from New Jersey. I saw my old coach and a number of old teammates, and we had a great game. My old friends got the best of us 1-0, and it was one of the most fun games I've played in a long time.

When we didn't advance to the quarterfinals, instead of staying overnight Saturday we headed home after playing our last game. Got back to Pittsburgh at around 9 on Saturday night, transferred my stuff from the car I was in to my car, picked up a friend of LT's and mine, and hit the road again on a last-minute-whim decision to head to DC. Got to DC at around 1:30 am, slept for a good 4 1/2 hours, then at 6 am bright and early headed out to the fields for the second day of an ultimate tournament. Spent a good 6 or 7 chilly hours shivering in a polo field and cheering on LT and her team, then hit the road for home again. Thankfully our friend knew how to drive stick, so I had the luxury of spending most of the ride home sound asleep in the back seat. Zzzzzz....

All in all, great fun even if half of it didn't go as originally intended, and I rediscovered the fun that can take place when you decide on a whim to drive somewhere in the middle of the night. Just make sure you have time to nap later!

Oh, and I realized that I've gotten to the point where if a drive is under 4 hours, I barely even count it as a trip. I might as well just be going down the street.

Coming Next Weekend: The Dinah Shore in Palm Springs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great weekend, especially with the addition of the ultimate tourney!

I miss playing on a team that was able to have fun a) without going out and getting pissdrunk before games and b) even when we lost, because it really *is* about playing the game.